Wednesday, October 24

H E A L T H ◌ W E A L T H

I have, for as long as I can remember, led an active lifestyle. When I was little I was always in a netball or basketball team (kudos to my parents), playing alongside some of my best friends, and Dad stood cheering me on every Saturday - rain, hail, shine. This is my earliest memory of loving exercise, which at the time I didn’t really understand what fitness (in its entirety) was. In my final year of school, as part of our P.E studies we had to complete a term at a gym – and this is where I really started loving fitness, and understanding the benefits of the relationship between exercise and your mind and body. Endorphins. They got me good.

I became addicted to the post-workout-feels, and that motivation and dedication to fitness become part of my everyday routine. And that is how it has been, since age 17 I’ve always been a member of a gym, with an alarm generally sounding before 6am to start my day.

I’ve tried it all - boot camps, group training sessions, social netball teams, yoga, pilates, boxing, circuit training, HITT training, F45, hell I even had a stint at women’s sports fighting (not so fondly remembered)! And many times I have in fact thought about changing my career to a profession in the fitness industry….  

But the pre-sunrise wake up call does not appeal to everyone, nor does going to a gym, or a routine that includes daily exercise. And that is just fine. You are you, (see Shitty Bones blog for more chat on you do you). What works for one person, may not work for another and this is something I think we all need to remember. 

I've read a lot of health related articles in my time - and while the information is important and often valuable, it also sometimes over-complicates what we think we should be doing for our bodies. I was recently listening to a podcast by Primal Potential 'Clearing Up Conflicting Nutrition Advice' and the content was shaped around a quote from R.W. Emerson, which when applied to our outlook on health, exercise, overall well-being, it made total sense:

‘As to method, there may be a million and then some, but principles are few. The man who grasps principles can successfully select his own methods, the man who tries methods ignoring principles is sure to have trouble.’

The speaker notes if we were to look at our health (exercise, lifestyle etc.) by valuing principles over methods we are more likely to succeed. 

For example if you lead your life as ‘dairy-free’ or ‘low-fat’ or ‘no/low-carb’ you are favouring methods and tactics - following information received about these ways of living, which often causes frustration in having to follow something so strictly – or even just missing out on something blimmin’ delicious (life’s too short to not eat cake). 

However if you favour a principle for example ‘my food choice is based on foods I love, that love my body back’ you may find you disregard, or even just reduce foods which don’t align to your principle ie. If dairy doesn’t love your body, then there is no need to love dairy.

Similarly for exercise, method: working out every day will burn calories IN. Or principle: I listen to my body and make choices that make me feel my best ie. If you are tired, listen to your body. Slow down, go for a walk in nature, stretch, practice yoga OR exercise your mind and rest up with a good book! If you have energy, want to get hot and sweaty, and you know hitting the gym will make you feel your best – then step to the gym!

I am often asked what my morning workouts/weekly fitness looks like - currently it involves: 1-3 boxing sessions with my PT, 1-2 strength work outs with cardio and 1-2 yoga sessions. And it always involves REST – which can fall on any given day – when my body tells me to. This works for me.

I am in awe to all the research and ongoing education in the health and well-being industry - it blows my mind how much there is to learn about our amazing bodies - thank you to everyone who has inspired me, taught me, and motivated me. 


My health is my wealth X

Method Movement - London


PT with Coach Rhys


Exploring Rangitoto



Reformer pilates - KCore, Auckland



No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG STYLED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS