Tuesday, February 28

M Y ◌ O H ◌ M Y ◌ M E R I B E L

M E R I B E L
Skiing is one of those sports that when people nail it (and I mean properly nail it) they make it look so easy, and gracious might I add! And when they don't nail it - it's a case of Bambi meets a schoolyard of 5 year olds - who might I also add, have been seasoned skiers since before they could even walk! 

And so, this was the introduction between skiing and I. Intro - Bambi. 

My first winter vacay, and proper winter at that. For me, holidays have always been chasing the sun and lazing no far than a metre from a pool/beach with cocktail in hand, however here I was surrounded by snow in a setting that absolutely took my breathe away. 

A week away in the French alps - I'll pick up skiing no problem 'she thought' surely? Well that was as far from the truth as I was away from a beach or pool! 

It's all very well and good to lock into skis and get going... but it's how to STOP! After hours/days of hanging with my new pre-school mates (and help from a very patient boyfriend) I managed to feel somewhat secure and was eventually able to progress down a run (not to say it wasn't without many errors)! 

But Mirabel - wow, what a beautiful, quaint little ski village. As you would expect the town is built solely around tourism, and many locals are in fact visitors themselves working a season or two to reap the reward of hitting the slopes everyday! 

We stayed in a fully catered chalet which was great - breakfast and three course dinner every day which made the holiday so easy! The hosts of our chalet were a young English couple who were in season two of hosting and living the ski lifestyle, although it's quite a full on role - 6 days straight and constant roll over of new guests every weekend. 

Aside from heading up the mountain everyday (except for the one day I booked in for 3 hours of indulgence at a day spa), we dined at some amazing restaurants. My favourite place was Le Clos Bernard which if you weren't skiing or boarding to the restaurant you could only get there by horse and cart from the main road, through the snow-dusted pines. A pretty magic experience. Artic cafe  in the centre of Meribel served good coffee, decent salad bowls and delish raw food delights (although service with a smile wouldn't hurt). A little out of Meribel (easy bus ride) was Tsaretta - the crew loved the pizzas, I opted for sesame tuna which was delish! And I must make mention of Le Grand Coeur - best massage I have had, and three hours of relaxation at their spa… amaaaaazing! 

Thank you beautiful Meribel, perhaps now I won't be forever chasing the sun… x
Bambi
Warming up outside Le Clos Bernard

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG STYLED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS