Wednesday, October 24

S H I T T Y ◌ B O N E S

I’ve just been confronted with something at my local supermarket, which initially really niggled me but has since made me think about a bigger picture...  

I was finishing paying for my shopping and greeted by an old school friends’ father (who didn’t really know me at High School, any more than a face in his daughters’ friendship circle) at the opposite checkout. He proceeded to ask how I was, and if my surname was still ‘Davenport’ to which I replied ‘yeah?’ He then followed this seemingly odd question up with ‘just asking because surely you are too old to not be married, or have children.’ 

This small comment has led to a spiral of thoughts for me, and led me to this blog. 

Firstly I was confronted with the fact that no, I am not married, nor do I have children so started to question if that was my error? Should I be worried that I have not ticked either of these boxes, despite the fact that most of my friends (his daughter included) are married and with 1, if not two children? I began to question if I would ever get married, or ever have children. And these negative thoughts began to circle, to the point where I felt utterly shit. I had forgotten everything I had accomplished and achieved in my life, because of one small comment. 

I’ve always been someone who set goals, made a plan, changed the plan (constantly), set new goals – all aiming to get to that end goal – that one we all set our own bars at so bloody high?! From my late teens, it was go to uni, build a career, get married, and have children. But one thing life has taught me is that this ‘checklist’ doesn’t always roll out this way, nor is it achievable for many (congrats to those of you have ticked all of these things above in said order). So who’s to say this is the way/order life should be? 

Coincidentally I listened to a really interesting podcast while out walking today which resonated with me. It was about the power of doing what makes you, you. The power of standing up for yourself and being your number one fan. Accepting that some things in life are out of your control, but to be content with where you are right now at any moment and don’t dwell on the past – it is your past for a reason. And to appreciate the smaller things, as hard as it can be when you are in a funk (trust me I’ve been there, I’m a frequent visitor to funky-town - no lol’s intended). 

My supermarket experience was a shitty one, I wished I hadn’t gone in on that day, at that time. But I then came home, collected my thoughts, and sat down for a beautiful dinner with my family. And I quietly became grateful for that moment (the smaller things). Not down and out for the fact that I am not married, or don’t have children, (yes sure, one day I would love both of these things) but at that moment I was grateful for the food one the table, and the company of my family. 

Perhaps you’ve had something similar happen to you, or perhaps you do compare yourself to your friends and the stage of life they are at (we’ve allllll been there)! But remember that is their life, not yours. 

Life can throw some really shitty bones, but the best thing about a pile of bones is that it becomes a foundation strong enough to climb to the top, and to see beyond. 


Who says there's one way, or a right way to do life? No one. You just do you


From a not-yet-married, child-free, well-traveled, healthy, family-orientated, friendly, successful ME, to YOU x


This place ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG STYLED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS